Signal Sign On (SSO) In Effect (Affects Username)

This morning we rolled out SSO, which is technical talk for “one login to multiple accounts”. It means for us that users will now use their MorphMarket [marketplace] account to login to the MRC community site.

You will notice this once you log out of your market account and MRC in that order, and try to log back in. First and foremost, let me know if you have any problems with this. If so you’ll need to contact us via feedback on the market site, since you won’t be able to get back to here. I don’t expect any problems.

While this does involve a slightly heavier signup process, there are a lot of advantages to having these systems unified.

One thing I haven’t decided yet is if we should make the two systems share the same username. We can go either way on this, but it will be true for everyone. As I see it, the Pro is that it will be easier to track someone’s identity across the two sites – and confusing if they are not the same.

The only Con that I can think of is if someone doesn’t like their market username, but as of a few months ago, it’s now possible for users to change their username (a little). So it doesn’t seem like that’s a real issue.

What are your thoughts on syncing the usernames?

2 Likes

Agree, simplify where possible

I like the syncing of usernames

One downside to MM usernames – maybe the only downside is that they are caseless. Maybe I can find a workaround.

I am glad to see this is being implemented, I would prefer the two names synced for sure.

2 Likes

Okay, as of now, when you login you will see your username getting updated to the one that is on MorphMarket.

I am just seeing what it lists my user name as.

1 Like

To see your username and everything else, you can click on your personal logo in the upper righthand corner and click on your name in the upper left of that box. Then go to Preferences.

I used a different email address to create my Morphmarket account, will that affect SSO setup?

I haven’t logged in yet to try it but having community and website names match would be better for transparency. I can imagine that potential buyers receiving help in the forum would be inclined to look up the helpers to see what they have available.

2 Likes

I invited everyone using their MorphMarket email addresses, so I’m not sure how that is possible – but if you get locked out just contact me via MM.

I haven’t logged in yet to try it but having community and website names match would be better for transparency.

Agreed.

I can imagine that potential buyers receiving help in the forum would be inclined to look up the helpers to see what they have available.

Absolutely. I want valuable MRC to be rewarded for their contributions. In this way sellers are promoting themselves indirectly. Second, top posts from the community will be syndicated to the marketplace which will get them further visibility.

My MorphMarket account is weird, I signed up with an email anonymizing service because I didn’t know if I would use it long term or not. I later changed the email address but I still log in with the original address that I signed up with. I’ll let you know if I have an issue.

1 Like

Note to everyone: Some of you hadn’t experienced the username sync to your market account because you hadn’t logged out yet. I have forced that update now for all the accounts.

If you want to change your username read:

I think sinking up the username idea for both sites is a no brainer. Great idea team.

1 Like

I agree this has worked really well. Doesn’t require creating two accounts, and we can know the usernames are the same in the market.

thanks!